11.25.2011

Thanksgiving---done and over

Hope everyone had a Thanksgiving as great as mine was! I spent the day with some really amazing people and got to meet a lot of new friends, too. I loved today. A lot.

As part of the mentor program that I'm in at the Horizon House we decided to put on a Thanksgiving dinner for the community (kind of like a soup kitchen type deal) since no one else in town was doing one. We put up fliers, begged people for clothes, money, and a shit load of food. We cleaned and decorated the building, which btw, is not a pretty building, we cooked and baked, and we showed up a couple hours early not knowing how the day would turn out.

The place was packed! I was so amazed at how much food and clothes showed up at the last minute, but mostly at how many people showed up! Not only did people show up randomly to help volunteer, people came to eat and have fun, too! About an hour into the dinner people were getting a little anxious so I went and bought 8 decks of cards and some Uno cards. We had a spades tournament (apparently that's a jail game?) and had a blast!

We had food left over and money to spare (which we will be using for Sub-4-Santa). I'm so grateful that I was able to be there and help out in any way I could. I wouldn't trade today for anything. Seriously, I'm very blessed and today was amazing.



All in all, I am very grateful that I was able to participate in this and hope that we do it again next year! Now I'm excited to start working on Sub-4-Santa! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment