1.23.2012

So, it's been a long while since I posted about this...

Recently I've seen many, many blogs about couples wanting to adopt and that makes me very, very happy. I think it's great when couples want/get to adopt because there are so many kids out there waiting to be adopted. Adoptuskids.org is kind of like petfinder.com, as in it displays children by pictures and if you like it, you can click on it to find out more about it. I get why they do it, but it's still a little bit sad that the kids appearances determines whether or not he or she gets adopted.

It goes both way, though. As I was searching on the LDS adoption page I came across the profiles of couples hoping to adopt and the birth moms get to choose a family based on their picture and a brief message about themselves. In the search criteria it has an option to view the "top ten profiles who have been waiting the longest to adopt". I clicked on it; they were, in general, older, slightly awkward, and not hip. I would post pictures, but that could possibly be considered rude. What 19 year old little girl is going to choose them to be the parents of her baby? Probably none. Sad? Yes. True? Yes.

So I don't really know where I'm going with this except to say, isn't it sad that our society is so based on outward appearances? What if those old-not-so-hip couples are really awesome and could offer a kid a life full of happiness and love? What if the really hip-model-everything-looks-perfect couples aren't as cool as they look? I mean, it could go both ways for either couple, really...

If it were me, I'd want to know about the couple and have them chosen before I ever saw any pictures. I wouldn't want to give my child to someone because I liked the way they dressed or because they had pretty smiles; it'd be too hard for me to be objective if I had pictures.

Maybe our society is based on appearances and maybe that works for some people. I don't agree with it, but that doesn't really matter.

Back to the point, if you're looking to adopt a kid...go to www.adoptuskids.org and do a search. There are thousands upon thousands of cute little kids who need homes. Do it....I dare ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment