12.28.2009

What I Wish I'd known...

Today as I walked in the SUU to drop off some forms to the Financial Aid office, I had an overwhelming thought. WHY IN THE HELL WAS I IN SCHOOL FROM AGES 18-23?? WHY?
...
Now lets backtrack here...I started at SUU the semester following my high school graduation. Pretty normal, right? I did okay, but hated it for the most part. I had no idea what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. I had people telling me I'd be a wonderful teacher, which of course I could, but I didn't want to do that. I knew I would be miserable if I decided to pursure my elementary education degree. After dropping out and moving to Provo to sort things out, I decided that I'd be a high school teacher. Go me. I came home, took the Education 2000 class and almost shot myself in the face. There was no way I would ever become a teacher if I couldn't ever stand taking the first required class for that major, so I crossed teaching off my list and proceeded to fail out of school a good five times. And let me tell you folks, that takes a great deal of talent.
...
After moving home from Provo I landed a job working with at-risk youth. For the first few months I only worked graveyards so I didn't get to know the program or the youth very well. When I finally started working on a day time shift, I fell in love. I knew exactly what I wanted to do: work with youth, but not teach in a school setting. After three years of working in group homes, I figured I should probably get back in school, finish my degree and perhaps go to graduate school. I am currently about a year away from having my bachelors in Sociology. YAY for that; I couldn't be happier.
...
I wish I would have known all along what I wanted to do. I wish I would have waited to do school until I was sure on what I wanted to be when "I grow up". Although I don't think I'd take back any of the experiences I've had while getting to this point, it sure woulda been a whole lot less expensive...especially since the government is now paying for my school since I'm an old fart (24 years old).

So, really...I wish I would have just been more of a free spirit (if that's even possible) during the last five years. If I ever have to re-do my life, I'd start with that. I'll start school when I'm 24, go for free, and actually have a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment